"Wisdom comes from allowing what GOD teaches to guide us."

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Alivia Faith Schrock

So, this might be a long one, but with my first trip down the stairs to the computer after major surgery.....here's the story of Alivia Faith Schrock and why she came 4 1/2 weeks early.


I went in to the Doctor for a weekly checkup on Monday the 28th at 2:30pm and decided to mention that I was having contractions in my lower abdomen around my original incision. The doctor sent me directly down the hall right away and ordered a sonogram where they were able to determine that my uterus was stretched VERY thin from the previous c-section (pulling apart) and it was creating a "window" and that it could possibly rupture at any moment. (nerves started in at this point).

The doctor was not letting me go home, but sending me straight to OSF for overnight observation and a specialist's opinion. Jason was in Missouri - 4 hours away at this point. Can you imagine being told that and then having to drive to the hospital hoping that my uterus doesn’t rupture because I turned my body the wrong way?

So I get to the hospital around 4pm and they hook me up to the monitors. Dr. Croland comes in;
Dr. Croland: "How are you feeling?"
Me: "Good considering"
Dr. Croland: "Are you having any contractions?"
Me: "I feel very mild cramping every once in awhile, but nothing that I’m worried about. They barely hurt."
Dr. Croland: "Well the monitor is showing that you’re having contractions every 3-4 minutes apart. Where’s Jason?"
Me thinking: Why is he so concerned where Jason is as this point? "He’s in Missouri" I stated.
Dr. Croland: "What’s he doing in MO?!?"
Me:"“He’s been working there this week."
Dr. Croland: "Well, is he on his way home?"
Me: "Yes, he’s on his way. I told him to not come straight here but to go home, shower, pack, etc since this is supposed to be for overnight observation."
Dr. Croland: "Sounds good. Well, why don’t you lay on your left side so we can see if we can get those contractions to stop or slow down."

After getting me re-situated, Dr. Croland leaves the room. After about 20minutes, Dr. Croland re-appears;
Dr. Croland: "How are you feeling?"
Me: "Good. I don’t feel the cramping like I was before, I think they may have stopped."
Dr. Croland: "Well they haven't stopped. I've been watching you on the monitor out in the hall and the monitor is showing that you’re having contractions every 2-3 minutes apart. Where’s Jason at this point?"
Me: "I’m not 100% sure, somewhere around St. Louis."
Dr. Croland: "Well, maybe you should call him back…no wait…He will speed and I don’t want him to do that."
Me: "I’m gonna call him regardless even if you tell me not to, so what’s going on?"
Dr. Croland: "Well, tell Jason not to speed but we need to deliver this baby tonight. You’re having contractions closer together than last time, and because your uterus is stretched as thin as they think it is, your uterus could rupture, so as soon as he gets here we need to deliver for the safety of you and the baby."
Me: "......Ok......He’s coming straight from a jobsite. Do you think he can shower as soon as he gets here and then we can head to the operating room?"
Dr. Croland: "That would be fine. He can shower here in the delivery room before we all go back to the operating room."

At this point, I then called Jason back and told him to come straight to the hospital. We both called our parents and let them know what was going on. My mom went to pick up Addy at the sitters. Jason also called his sister Jenni and asked if she could run to our house and get our cameras so we would have them for the delivery. They both worked out that they would just meet at the hospital. Jason and Mike & Jenni arrived at the hospital at 8:05pm (finding out just before delivery that Jason did speed). Mike & Jenni decided to hang out in the waiting room until after the baby was born to see and hear what it was.

I get taken back to the operating room around 8:25, 'baby girl' arrives at 8:58pm (aka Alivia Faith- she didn't have a name until the next day b/c we thought for SURE we were having a boy! And people say God doesn't have humor).
 









Throughout the hospital stay, her jaundice count was going up so she had to "work on her tan" for awhile. 
 
 Needless to say, she's working on it right now here at home...who would've thought they could do such a thing?? Other than that, we are VERY thankful for a healthy delivery and healthy "pre-term" little blessing & gift from God. We feel extremely BLESSED. I will be sure to upload photos sometime soon (and of big sis too of course - who loves her little sister...for now) :-)
 Our little glow worm

 Sisterly Love


7 comments:

  1. Glad she is doing good! (Nick had to work on his tan at home too! He was only on it for 24 hrs. at home.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats again! We would love to see her soon, but I am still working on getting over a cold. We will see how long this will hang on. But please let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what a story! I think my heart was beating faster just reading it, & I had already heard it once before. :) I'm so glad you are both ok...and Jason too. Had to be scary! She is just precious! I'll call you sometime this week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny Bellman WilleyMarch 21, 2010 at 10:58 PM

    Awe, that is a scary but wonderful story all in one ~ yours was the first I was ever wrong on that I remember, I thought she'd be a boy, too! But she is absolutely perfect and I love her name :) Enjoy your new blessing & soak it in ~ by the time we make it home to see her she'll be six months old! Boo ... can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Angie, I hadn't heard the whole story, glad everyone is o.k.! She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jolene Jones ChevironMarch 21, 2010 at 10:59 PM

    Hey! You're little one is adorable! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God must have sent the guardian angels to look over you just as He was. What a terrifying story regarding Alivia's birth; but so thankful that everything turned out good for both of you. After all...........God is good.

    ReplyDelete